Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Letter

Dear Baby,

You have a name now but I feel a little strange calling you by your name when you're still inside of me. But for the record, and not like you haven't heard it, your name is Luke. I apologize now for any nicknames that will come from that but everyone thinks it's a good, strong, biblical name and I like it so that's the name. I am sure that in a few years you'll be hearing this loudly come from my mouth, "Luke Austin Michaaaaeeeellllll!" You'll get familiar with it, especially since you are a boy. Your Uncle Taylor often had his whole name called at a loud voice and you'll find out why some day.

I was looking at your 21 week sonogram pictures recently. We have those prints on the refrigerator (next to the pizza coupon and cat's photo) and I just thought you had the cutest head and face. You were so small and looked like just an x-ray to us but I'm now finding it very cute, which is not like me.

I often wonder what you'll look like. I can tell right now that you will have big cheeks, probably big alert eyes, straight hair, and long legs. I also wonder what you'll look like as a teenager, which is so weird for me. I'm only 28 and to think I'll have a teenager one day is crazy! But whatever you come out looking like, you'll most likely be very handsome. (Your very first photos from the day you are born won't be the best ones of your life, but all babies look weird when they first come out.) You also may not look a whole lot like me since you are a mixture of white and Hispanic, but that'll just make you cuter and I'll know you're mine.

I can really imagine you being athletic, although I'm not saying you have to play any sports. It does run in the family though. Your dad played football and baseball. He pitched in high school, and while he can't do that as well anymore with his arm injury, he will always help and coach you if you want it. I played soccer; I wasn't great but it was fun to play with friends. Your Uncle Taylor played soccer and baseball. Your grandpa on my side, my dad (I think my mom, Meme to you, has already named him Papa, but you can call him whatever you want), played baseball too. So you can see that baseball is a pastime in our family. Anyway, I picture you being involved in sports and it would be great if you start young, perfect some skills, get a college scholarship... but we're not pressuring you.

I'm sure you'll be funny. I am very funny, and often say the most clever things. Sometimes. Your dad is funny, but sometimes he doesn't mean to be, he just is. The world seems to be filling up with precocious and witty little kids and I'm not so impressed with them. But I know you'll be different and totally make us laugh, and you have several second cousins on both sides, but you'll always steal the show.

I hope and often pray that you will be healthy, that you will make it to adulthood, and that you'll make good decisions. For someone to live a long life with no serious illnesses and be happy their whole life seems rare but I hope so much that you will have that experience. I can't make all that happen but I'll always pray and hope for those things, and I'll do what I can to make it happen.

I will probably write at least one more letter before you're born. I'm not a gushy, huggy, "aw that's so cute" kind of person, but I'm sure once you're here that will change. I don't know what else I'll write but I want you to know that your dad and I will love you so much. And I'll probably be strict and he'll let you get away with things, but it'll be okay. We'll always love you and we'll always take care of you.

-Your mom

1 comment: