Monday, July 13, 2009

Who wants a puny baby?

At my doctor's visit last week, the DR measured my fundus (yeah- it's the top of my uterus from my pelvic bone) and said that things seemed to be right on track. I asked her when she'll guess his birth weight and length. I ask this because she very firmly squeezes and feels my stomach/uterus/mid-section every time making sure he's positioned right and can feel for certain body parts. She said right now he weighs about 4 1/2 pounds. (He'll gain about 1/2 a pound every week from now on.)

Then she said something else, still squeezing my stomach. She proudly said, "He won't be a wimpy baby when he's born." And something about how he'll be healthy and have lots of fat rolls, I can't remember it all exactly.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. I thought that was a clever way of saying my baby wasn't puny and would be just fine. Not until later when I remembered the size of my husband's and my brother's heads did I worry. Both large heads now and at birth- not that it doesn't suit their body frame and all, but still... Fun times, fun times.

My mom saw the humor in her remark as well when I told her later. Then she shared this with family at my Dad's parents house the other day and my Grandma said, "I don't think he'll be a big baby." I was gobsmacked! Not just flabbergasted, but gobsmacked! She hasn't seen me since March, hasn't seen any pictures of me, and she certainly hasn't examined me. I guess it might be her age making her say things like that.

But what, does she want me to have a puny baby?! No thanks- I want mine to be the baby who rolls over on top of all the other infants and shows 'em who's boss!

Anyway, it was good to hear he's developing well, as much as we can tell, but that size scares me a little. Other news from my check-up is I'm really not gaining the weight like I used to, which is good for me to hear. I was concerned but maybe the baby is packing it on instead of me now. My blood pressure and his heart rate are all normal and good. At the next visit I get examined, measured, tested for Group B strep (don't ask, look it up), and Miguel comes with me so the DR can talk about when it's time to make that call!

I can't believe there are only 36 days left until my due date!

-Megan, of the big-heads

No comments:

Post a Comment